How to get couples' travel insurance

If you’re taking a trip with a partner, then a joint travel insurance policy could help you cut both the cost and the paperwork associated with getting insured for your holiday. we’ll take you through everything you need to know right here to help you find out if a couples’ travel insurance policy is right for you.

What is couples’ travel insurance?

Couples’ travel insurance is a type of travel insurance policy that covers two people who are in a relationship and living at the same address. While you’re travelling with your partner you’ll be covered for a variety of things, such as medical costs, lost luggage or valuables, and holiday cancellations. If you are newlyweds who don’t yet share an address, then you can find honeymoon insurance policies that will provide cover for both of you.

What does it cover?

Joint travel insurance policies offer a similar level of coverage to individual travel insurance, but cover both you and your partner simultaneously. One thing to look out for when taking out couples’ travel insurance is whether or not the policy has individual excess limits, as this can mean you will have to pay the excess twice if a claim affects both you the person you’re travelling with. Commonly couples’ insurance covers the following:

  • Medical treatment
  • Cancellations
  • Lost luggage
  • Theft of valuables
  • Personal liability

In addition to this, you can also add extra cover for some things such as activities and sports (and some policies will even include some of these as standard). If you’re going on a winter sports holiday, such as a ski trip, then you will need to take out a specific policy to get the right cover.

Do you have to travel together for a couples’ policy to be valid?

It depends on the type of policy you take out. Commonly if you take out a single trip policy with a partner, then your cover is commonly only valid when you are both travelling together. However, if you opt for an annual multi-trip policy, then some insurers will cover you and your significant other for your individual trips as well as those you take as a couple.

Some policies will also provide cover for if you start a trip together, but then go your separate ways during the trip. It’s important to check the terms and conditions of each policy to make sure it doesn’t require you and your partner to be glued at the hip throughout your travels to be covered.

What types of couples’ travel insurance polices are there?

There are a variety of travel insurance policies that can be taken out as joint policies. Here’s a quick summary of the types of cover you can get for you and your partner:

Single trip

For a short holiday together, couples’ single trip travel insurance will provide the cover you need in case anything goes wrong during your travels. This type of policy is the most basic and cheapest type of travel insurance policy that you can find.

Annual multi-trip

With an annual multi-trip policy, both you and your partner will be covered for all trips you take across the course of a year. This is typically a cheaper option if you’re planning on taking more than two holidays in a year, and some policies will cover each of you for solo trips as well as when you’re travelling together.


If you’re travelling together on a longer trip (more than one month), then you’ll want to look into backpacker travel insurance. These policies usually offer more comprehensive cover than other travel insurance options, with dangerous activities and trips home for family emergencies sometimes included as standard.


Rather than a specific type of insurance in its own right, worldwide travel insurance cover is an option on both annual multi-trip and backpacker policies. You can usually take out cover in three types: Europe, Worldwide (excluding the USA, Canada, and the Caribbean), and Worldwide (including the USA, Canada, and the Caribbean).

Winter sports

If you’re travelling to go skiing or snowboarding with your partner, then you’ll need a winter sports travel insurance policy. These activities are excluded from other types of insurance, but you can often include winter sports cover in other types of policy - but it will substantially increase the cost of your policy.

Are there any common exclusions with couples’ travel insurance policies?

Yes, as with any type of insurance, there are exclusions that will limit your ability to make a claim or get a policy in certain situations. These vary from policy to policy, but commonly include:

  • Age. The age at which insurers will stop offering cover varies considerably from insurer to insurer, and your options will be more limited as you get older. But don’t worry if you’re travelling with a partner in old age: there are couples’ travel insurance policies that will cover you whatever age you are.
  • Undeclared pre-existing conditions. If you have a pre-existing medical condition, it won’t usually prevent you from being able to take out a policy, but if you don’t disclose it then your insurance will not pay out on any medical claims related to that condition.
  • Couples who do not share an address. If you and your partner do not live at the same address, it will be very difficult to find a couples’ travel insurance policy. Some insurers will even require you to have been living at the same address for a defined period of time (e.g. six months).
  • Loss/theft of multiple items. Always check the small print of your travel insurance, as some couples’ policies will only cover one item for personal loss and not pay out on subsequent claims.
  • Extreme sports. With most couples’ travel insurance policies, you will have to add extra cover in order to be insured for any extreme sports you’re planning to undertake as part of your trip (e.g. skiing, mountain biking, or white water rafting).

How much does couples’ travel insurance cost?

Because of the variety of policy types available and the different levels of cover you can take out, it’s very difficult to give a one-size-fits-all answer to this question. A couples’ policy can save you money and paperwork over taking out two individual policies, but the only way to get an accurate answer as to how much your policy will cost is to fill out our form and get a free quote.

Why should I get couples’ travel insurance instead of two individual policies?

There are situations where you should, and situations in which taking out two individual policies may make more sense. If you’re going away with your partner and you just need some basic travel insurance cover, then a couples’ policy will often work out as a cheaper option than taking out two policies - plus it will save you a great deal of hassle.

However, if there are reasons that your travel insurance needs are likely to be a little more complex - for example if one of you has a pre-existing medical condition - then you may find the most cost-effective way to get the cover you need is to take out two policies.

What if we have European Health Insurance Cards (EHICs)?

Even if you’re only travelling in Europe and both have European Health Insurance Cards, you still need to make sure you both have travel insurance cover. This is because your EHICs are in no way a sufficient substitute for travel insurance.

First, because they only offer basic medical coverage, as opposed to travel insurance which provides medical cover in the millions of pounds and also covers repatriation costs if you need to be transported back to the UK. And second, because a travel insurance policy will also give you protection for lost/stolen valuables and holiday cancellations, for which a European Health Insurance Card will offer no financial support.

Will we need extra cover for sports or activities?

Yes, if you’re planning on undertaking any extreme, water, or winter sports while you are away you will usually need to take out extra cover. There are policies that include some sports and activities as standard, but especially with sports such as skiing or snowboarding will require specific cover which will raise the cost of your insurance substantially.

Should I get couples’ travel insurance?

It depends on whether it suits your situation and will give you the best deal. If you live with your partner and you’re looking to take out one policy to cover both of you while you’re on holiday/travelling, then couples’ travel insurance has a variety of different policy options to cater to your needs.

One thing to bear in mind is that it can be more expensive to take out a couples’ policy over two individual policies if one of you has a pre-existing medical condition. Make sure always to declare any medical conditions when taking out travel insurance, as if you fail to do so then your insurance will not pay out for claims relating to that condition.

Can I get a couples’ travel insurance quote right now?

Absolutely. If you want to find out how much a joint travel insurance policy would cost you and your partner, simply click the link below and one of our trusted insurers will find you a quote in minutes.